Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Digging for Vinyl – Rush - Exit...Stage Left



    Right off the bat I'll admit something,  I've never had this album on vinyl, but I did have the cassette so it was kind of the same, just in a smaller more compact not as cool format, the record I speak of is "Exit...Stage Left"  by Rush. I'm putting it out there by stating that 90% of the kids at my public school were into Rush…..you lived in Canada, it was 1981 and you listened to Rush, that was just the way it was.

      As I was digging thru the vinyl bins at Alleycats Musc & Art in Orillia I noticed it, sitting there staring at me nestled in-between Roxy Music and Rod Stewart, the cover with the woman from their "Permanent Waves" album looking out from behind the stage curtain at the crowd who were there for just one thing, to see Geddy, Alex and Neil live.  Sadly I have to admit that Rush are one of the few bands that I haven't had the good fortune of seeing in concert, so the live "Exit...Stage Left"  is all I have…..one day. The double album has it all; you've got The Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart, and the song I think of when I hear the name Rush Tom Sawyer. 

   Waking it from its slumber among the vinyl at Alleycats Music & Art was just the right thing to do, then dropping' the needle on Side One took me back to Regent Park Public School among the legion of Rush fans who just never grew tired of them, and I believe never have.

See you next Wednesday in the Vinyl Bins

Joe Cornelisse-SMM




You can also find Alleycats Music & Art on Facebook



95 Mississauga St. E, Orillia, Ontario

Hours   
Tue - Sat: 11:00 - 5:00 PM
Sun: 12:00 - 4:00 PM




Here are a few other pieces of vinyl I found while digging this week

The Soundtrack to the film 'To Live and Die in L.A.' performed by Wang Chung

Eric Burdon Declares "War"…Get your Funk On with this one

Nick Lowe & His Band ‎– Go 'Way Hound Dog…you can't go wrong with Nick Lowe

Timbuk 3 - Greetings from Timbuk 3…the future's so bright 

And a soundtrack that I have on both Vinyl and Cassette, it's 'Pretty In Pink', and in my opinion one of the best soundtracks ever put together for a film.



 





1 comment:

  1. Nice find. Young couple just picked up 6 near mint Rush albums on the weekend. Some were for his dad - some were for them. We're seeing lots of interest in Canuck bands.

    ReplyDelete