Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Digging for Vinyl
Big Country 'Steeltown'



    I've been tossing around this idea for the last few weeks about a weekly post for the Blog that has me dropping down each week to my local record joint which in my case Alleycats Music & Art here in the bustling metropolis of Orillia, Ontario Canada (btw I don't watch Hockey and I don't drive a snowmobile so don't go there). If you don't want to travel for hours on end or buy online the only way to get your vinyl fix is by your town having a record store and I'm sure glad that Mike decided to take a chance and open one up here in a city that defiantly needed one again. Alleycats have everything, records, CDs, posters, books, Art, and if they don't have it I'm sure they can get it. 

   Anyways I was in last weekend and was determined to pick up some early Elton John, maybe Madman Across the Water or Honky Château and as I was picking through the vinyl bins (Oh I'd found my copy of  Honky Château and was going to take it home) I came across a record that took me way back and immediately put a smile on my face and if I'm not mistaken I said out loud "Yes!" it was 1984's Steeltown by the Scottish band Big Country. Now I've had numerous copies of their debut record The Crossing over the years but I have never been able to procure a copy of Steeltown….until today, sorry Elton but Stuart (RIP) and the boys were coming home with me. Something about their sound, the wall of guitars and Stuart's instantly recognizable voice always got to me and I found their Steeltown album me favorite of all their releases. I got home, took it out of the bag, placed it on the turntable and enjoyed.

See you next Wednesday in the Vinyl Bins

Joe Cornelisse-SMM






Alleycats Music & Art

95 Mississauga St. E, Orillia, Ontario

Hours   
Tue - Sat: 11:00 - 5:00 PM
Sun: 12:00 - 4:00 PM


You can also find Alleycats Music & Art on Facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment